Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Vertigo Day 1: Safety Selection

It's Tuesday evening, 10:20 p.m. - Ayumi and I just got back from Villeneuve an hour ago from the safety meeting for all pilots.

We've been here in Chamonix since Sunday afternoon and I wish there were lots to share as far as sightseeing and flying are concerned, but the rain has all but eliminated that. We did have a good late Sunday afternoon sipping expressos in Chamonix central (imagine a bigger South Lake Tahoe with more shops), hanging out in our apartment, and enjoying some gambling Monday night. Hopefully, we'll get to see the famous sites like Le Mer de Glace, if there's time.

Anyways, Vertigo was supposed to kick off today with a training day, meaning that you can get some practice runs and get back up to launch since they provide rides to the top. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate so that didn't happen. From 4 - 7 was the registration period and equipment check. I'll post some pics soon but it was pretty strange being in that room with almost all the best acro pilots in the world (like RR who's surprisingly not coming). There were a few times when I looked at Ayumi and said jokingly, "What the f--k am I doing here?????"

While getting to compete was the reason I came, another huge reason was to spend some time with Felix, hang out, and pick his brain. After learning the killer "little things" about how to get from tumbling or rhythmic SAT to Infinity, SAT to helico, helico to helico, helico to SAT, and a smoother Misty Flip, it was worth the trip. Moreover, I showed him my video and he gave more pointers on my Rhythmic and Infinity attempts. Most importantly, he's really cool and humble guy who spoke some Japanese to Ayumi. Guy's a straight-up legend in acro paragliding.

Off to bed for me. We need to leave by 5 a.m. for the 1 1/2 drive so I can get to the pilot's briefing at 7 a.m.! Tomorrow's the safety selection flights - the day I've been working for. In one flight, they'll either let me compete . . . . or not!

3 comments:

Tim said...

Give it a go Nova!

Seeya at the next XC weekend.

Timo

Harry said...

Well, did you make it?????

Nova Dasalla said...

Hey guys -

Check it out my latest post for the depressing news. Actually, it's all good . . . . now I can focus on 2008.