Thursday, August 23, 2007

"C'est domage . . . . "

So yesterday the organizers had the wanna-bes do their safety selection flight. Of the 9 who tried, only 2 were selected and allowed to compete. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of those selected and will be a "spectator pilot" this year. From what I saw, I'm in good company as some of the pilots who were DQ'ed, IMHO, should've been allowed to compete but I think the judges wanted to see virtually no collapses in our imposed routine: Full stall, tailslide, helico, wingovers, and SAT. To some, this may sound easy, but when you put on the pressure of performing for judges, keeping mindful of your position within the "evolution box" (performance area), being aware of how much height you have left, and being the only person representing your country (OK - that was self-imposed), it really isn't. "Chapeau" for the guys who did make it . . . . I'll see you next year at the Mundials!

Anyways . . . . no excuses - I didn't have my stuff 100% wired and it showed. Therefore, I shouldn't be allowed to compete at a prestigious event like this. Besides, even if I did nail everything, I think I would've been DQ'ed anyways because I got too close to the crowd area on my approach to the landing platform in the middle of the performance area. I figured I didn't do my helicos well but I was totally going to land on the platform and I did, which was really cool by the way! I was so focused on sticking it that I forgot to do a spin landing which would've been REALLY cool but wouldn't have gotten me to qualification.

It's 11 p.m. now and we need to get up early to go catch Mont Blanc in the morning, then I'm going to fly off of Planpranz about 5-6 times. That's the normal launch site here in July - August. It's 2000 meters (LZ's at 1050) - even without hitting any thermals, I'll get enough altitude to practice, practice, practice! Here on out, my focus is for 2008 (the key year) which will include the World Championships held at the Vertigo-Voss in Norway. In additon, I plan on somehow hitting all the acro comps that occur before it.

I'll be posting lots of pics when I get the chance.

My thanks to everyone who gave me encouragement for the Vertigo. I had high hopes to do well, but it wasn't to be. I look forward to flying with you guys soon on the coast and at the next NCXC comp.

Au revoir till the next post!

1 comment:

Harry said...

Nova,
You let our country down... (just kidding)

I hope you get some good flying while your there.

Your not missing anything here.

Harry