Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lake Como

Earlier this week, Ayumi and I spent all-day Monday touring all the towns around Lake Como via Ferry, including Bellagio. I've been to a few lakes in Italy and I thought Como would be the same but - I have to say! - there's something definitely special about it. I don't know if it's the history of who used to live there or the present of who lives there now, but it's more beautiful, colorful, and majestic than any lake I've been to.

If you ever come to Northern Italy, you must see Lake Como.

Because I didn't do a great job of arranging a hotel for us (probably b/c they're all ridiculously expensive), we ended up staying in a hostel in Menaggio. Other than the tiny showers and having to share a room with another couple for a night, it was great, cheap, AND had an awesome view.

After dropping off Ayumi at Malpensa the next morning, I headed to Verel/Chambery, France, which is where I am now. I've spent the last 2 days flying w/Lou Marck at Verel - what a great site to train acro. Launch is at 905m and LZ's around 330m - if you can get to 1000-1100m, you'll have enough height to do infinites, which is what these guys do all the time. Then you bench back up using ridge or thermal lift - and this doesn't even include the additional 500 - 600m you'd get off the mountain behind it on the good days!

The lower bench reminds me of Mussel Rock, just 300 m higher . . . . I'll post some pics, along w/a hundred others, when I get home.

I've been at a McDonald's for the last few hours. If there's one good thing about them (at least in France) is that they all have free WiFi, which is great for a loser like me who can't stay disconnected for more than a few days.

Tonight I will head to the Ozone house at St. Hilaire which is where I'll be staying the next 4 nights during Coupe Icare. Even though this is my first time to this most famous flying festival, I'm not entirely excited. While I get to take part (I think) in the acro show they'll have a few hours every day and I'll see the various festivities and manufacturers, l'm NOT looking forward to dealing with so many people for 6 hours/day.

Yeah . . . . I know . . . . what am I crying about, right?

1 comment:

loren said...

Yeah, quit whining ya biatch.