Thursday, June 12, 2008

Am I supposed to be here?

I arrived last night in Gjøvik, Norway with mixed blessings. I say this because while I'm very fortunate to be here and excited to finally compete (knock on wood), it's come at a high price . . . . literally.

While I've already paid for the flight and will pay for the comp (1500NOR or 300USD), I had to pay A LOT for the excess baggage weight on KLM. I was under their "weight concept" which allows me up to 20 kg (44 lbs) on check-in baggage, no matter how many pieces I have. Anything over the allowance is 12 Euros/kg or 8E/kg, if you make arrangements in advance. Considering that I have a wing, harness, clothes, camping gear, and food, I went 30 kg over.

Yeah . . . . ouch. And get this: it only applies one way!

Today we're supposed to do some practice tows but it's windy so it's on hold. Right now, I'm in their public library after having done a small tourist tour of Gjøvik. I may have screwed myself for the next 4 days as I think I saw everything there is to be seen.

If you didn't already know, things are SUPER expensive in Norway. 6 bucks for a bottle of water . . . . yeah, right! I think my main goal this weekend is: DON'T BUY ANYTHING IN NORWAY!!!!

I'd post some pics but I think I forgot my USB cable in Frankfurt. Since I have no electricity at the campsite and no one to talk with, I'm gonna bury myself in Greg Palast's "Armed Madhouse". Then, if I get bored with that, I'll turn this trip into a Vipassana meditation retreat. Maybe I'll achieve some enlightenment?

Man, I sure hope the weather holds up so this comp takes place. I feel I'm meant to be here as something amazing is supposed to happen.

Jump roping my glider 10 times would sure be nice!

1 comment:

Harry said...

Hell no you're not supposed to be there! I bet you stick out like a sore thumb.

On a positive note, you haven't missed any flying back home.

I want to see some video of you throwing down at this contest. No pressure or anything.