Thursday, June 19, 2008

Final Run

As I mentioned before, it's very important for us pilots that we get at least 2 runs so that the FAI recognizes it as a valid comp thereby giving us rankings. 4 runs in a comp is ideal as this will give us 100% access to the points available to give us a higher ranking. (With only 2 runs, it's 60%. With 3, it's 90%.)

So, we were all stoked to get this run in the afternoon. I really wanted to make this last one my best as I felt I've underperformed to my potential all week, despite it being my first comp.

My program:

1) Tumble: My entry was perfect, the wing went under me at 180 degrees and fully inflated, so much so that it was ready to do the Infinity if I had let it go. But because it had so much energy after the first tumble, I had to really pull the brakes hard to stop it, which made the wing bend, something the judges don't want to see. Despite the fact that I got completely over the wing, my score was disappointingly lower because of the exit.
2) Helico: Nailed it.
3) Helico - SAT: Nailed it too, although my score wasn't as high as previous runs.
4) Misty Flip (R): Good flow entry from SAT, but the pendulum wasn't that high and the wing wasn't fully inflated. Definitely need to work on this.
5) Misty Flip (L)L Good flow from the right MF, but same issues.

Landing: I could've taken a nice easy glide to the platform because it was the last day and I didn't want to deal with drying anything, but - NOOOOOOO - I had to go for some points with another foot drag. So yeah . . . . it took all night for everything to dry.

Indeed, it was my best run which ended my comp on a high note as I took 3rd for the final run, enabling me to finish 7th out of 14. Not a bad showing for my first comp but I do expect much better next time.

Overall, my trip to Norway was well worth it as I achieved my goal of earning a ranking (getting in the FAI system), while at the same time, making friends with some great Norwegian/Swedish pilots who welcomed me and were genuinely friendly from the day I arrived. While everyone wanted to do their best and be competitive, everyone was supportive of each other and simply having a great time. I know the atmosphere at other acro comps I will attend will not be like this, so I'm glad to have experienced my first one with these guys. Since they always have 4 or so events in their Norwegian Cup every year, I know I'll come again if at all possible.

1 comment:

Tim said...

Nice!

Not bad for an XC pilot! ;-)

Have fun in Europe.

Tim